Types of Visa

Students are responsible for their visas and must ensure that they apply for the required travel documents in plenty of time before travelling. Studying in Malta will be amazing, but first you need to take some actions in order to travel to Malta. One of them is a visa. This is required for some non-European countries and nationals from these countries need to apply for a Student Visa. This document is mandatory if you want to stay in Malta longer than 90 days . Stay calm! We are here to help you in this process.

We provide our students with visa support and we can help you with visa extension documents. In Malta there are different types of visa; the most important for you are:

  • Visa
  • Visa Extension

Visa (Entry)

Some students need a Visa to enter the Maltese islands territory; this requirement depends on their country of origin.

Pre-arrival Visa

This type of visa is required before arriving in Malta. Students who fall in this category CANNOT enter the islands without this visa. This visa gives the student 90 days inside the Schengen area. Before booking the flight to Malta, check to see if you are required to first get a visa by following this link: Identity Malta.

If a visa is required, contact your embassy for more information.

For those students wanting to stay for more than 90 days, check out the following information: Visa Extension.

90 days Visa

If a student does NOT fall in the previous category, they are eligible for a 90-day Visa. This visa allows the student to enter the Schengen area without documentation. This person is allowed to stay for a maximum of 90 days, counting from the first day in the Schengen area. If you want to be a student in Malta for more than 90 days, refer to the following section: Visa Extension.

Visa Extension (Student)

If the student wants to stay here for more than 90 days, they are required to have a Student Visa. Students are responsible for their visas and must ensure that they apply for the required travel documents in plenty of time before travelling to Malta. The School will provide a Booking Confirmation and Visa Letter to facilitate the student’s visa application.

On the day that you apply for your visa extension, you mustn't forget to have the original and a copy of all the documents. Also verify that the dates of all the documents all match. The extension must be made immediately upon arrival in the country.

The process of this visa should start here, when the student is already in Malta.

Students of all nationalities must apply for this document if they want to stay more than 90 days.

Required Documents

  • Copy of all passport pages
  • Photos in passport size
  • School letters
    • Containing the start and end dates of your course
  • Fully completed and filled-in visa application form(obtained from the school)
  • Letter of sponsorship + sponsor document(when need)
  • Return flight ticket
  • Copy of credit / debit / vtm card
  • Bank statement in English showing the last 3 months of transactions
    • The amount shown on the bank statement must total at least
      • € 19 per day
    • Minors: Must present parent's bank statement and letter of sponsorship with their document
  • Insurance in English
    • Covering the whole period of the stay and any included services
  • Accommodation letter
    • If you live with ACE English Malta, we will give you this letter
    • If you don't live with ACE English Malta, you must present:
      • Apartment contract in the student's name and signed by the owner
      • Rent declaration form (obtained from the school)
      • Copy of the ID of the apartment owner

Minors Information

  • For minors, it is necessary to provide a bank statment in the parents' name and a document that states that the parents will provide for and cover the minor financially.
  • Original birth certificate with official translation. Authenticated consent for the minor to leave the country, in English and signed by both parents.
  • Letter promising to provide full financial support and cover, in English and signed by the sponsor, with a photocopy of the ID document of the sponsor and bank statements verifying the availability of the necessary money.

Extra Information

  • Travel breaks/ School holidays are allowed for booking of more than 8 weeks (bookings of less than 8 weeks do not permit students to take breaks/ holidays)
    The length of the travel break depends on the duration of the booking:
    • Courses of 8 to 23 weeks: 2 weeks of vacation
    • Courses of 24 to more weeks: 4 weeks of vacation
  • Students have the option of taking their holiday/ travel break at any time during their period of study, except for the last week(s) of their stay, as specified by the Maltese Embassy.
  • If you take holidays during the period that you have booked courses, your course booking will be rearranged so that your lessons recommence when you return, so you are only paying for the time that you are actually coming to classes, and not paying while you are on your holiday/ travel break. But if you have booked accommodation, and then take a holidays/ a travel break, your booking for the accommodation cannot be rearranged, so you will still have to pay for the accommodation, even if you are not living there while on your holiday/ travel break.
  • Statement currency should be in Euro or a print out of conversation attached.
  • Students should have enough money to cover their whole stay, that is €19 daily.
  • The visa has an associated cost of €66, which must be paid at the embassy.

For more information and details about the Student Visa, please click: Visa Support


Adult Courses

See more


Junior Programme

See more


Family & Kids

See more



See more

Interested in learning English with us?

Would you like to know more about ACE?